Saturday 28 July 2012

Skiing Blind

Just over one week into the Hintertux camp and the conditions continue to challenge us. Melting snow, thunder & lightening, on-piste rivers and poor visibility have all combined to create arguably the most testing conditions I've ever skied in. I'll certainly never moan about the snow in Meribel ever again!

Today was another tester. Visibility was very poor and made things harder than we expected but we managed to get something out of the day and if nothing else, skiing blind certainly improves the feeling I get and the information I can take from my feet.

Given the softness of the snow and unreliability underfoot we couldn't ski gates so we used the 3 hours we had to cram in as many runs of drills and exercises as we could, making use of time to improve basic foundation and technique.

It's really not an ideal training environment when you can't see your hand in front of your face but what ever you get from the day is something you wouldn't have got back at the hotel and I feel that I had a pretty profitable day on the hill.

The weather forecasts contradict each other for the coming 10 days so it's a case of keeping fingers crossed for colder weather and the chance to nail some gates.