Thursday 7 March 2013

Schladming International Youth Camp 2013

Amazing. A once in a lifetime experience that was absolutely amazing.

Attending Schladming 2013 as a BSS ambassador was an opportunity for me to experience a whole new level of skiing first hand, whilst also meeting new people in similar situations as me, witnessing first hand Austrian and Styrian culture in particular. It also gave me the opportunity of taking a well deserved break off ski training without leaving the mountains.

I went to Schladming a little uneasy, mainly because I wasn’t comfortable with the thought of lots of new people around me. It was a multi-national camp, whereas personally I’m used to sticking with the same group of lads I train regularly with - and my Glaswegian coach, obviously.

This took me a little out of my comfort zone. Amazingly however, over the first night and following morning I got to know more and more people, and made more and more friends from all corners of the world. From Chile to Russia, from America to Iran I now have friends with similar interests and experiences. It was a great opportunity for me and it helped me personally to become more outgoing, more versatile and substantially improve my people skills. I also have an offer of somewhere to stay when next visiting Argentina!

Without doubt however, the best part of the week was watching the races. Seeing the best in the world doing what they love was a truly memorable experience. It also gave me a deep insight in to the level of skiing which I aspire to achieve and reiterated to me that the only way I was going to achieve that was to try my hardest and give my all, every minute both on and off the slopes.

Standing in the VIP area next to the American Team was also something I won’t forget any time soon. Nor is the breath-taking atmosphere in and around the stadium, especially when an Austrian skier went down. It was mental! They live and breathe ski racing.

Off the hill we visited the press centre and experienced what it was like to stand in front of the microphones during a press conference. We also worked on how to make your own videos look good, how to cut film, which clips and images to choose and how to make the best videos. This was good for me so that I can take these skills away and I intend to put them to use in my next video.

We also did lots of different types of skiing, trying out telemark & monoboard skis as well as doing a fair bit of skiing on my own slaloms. 

Overall, Schladming has to be one of the most amazing experiences I've had and witnessed. I was immensely proud and honoured to have been chosen as an ambassador for BSS for the event. I took a lot away from the camp and would definitely recommend it to people who have the chance to go on a future International Youth Camp.

Below are a few pics but if you want to see more please check out my Picasa album at http://tinyurl.com/c2jssew